I work for the central IT department of a non-profit higher education institution. HigherEd has a number of unique challenges in itself. For one thing, a good number of our IT projects are internal, which means either a new product (websites, applications, software, etc) or a new service (Identity Management, Printing, Computer Labs, etc). It’s virtually impossible to gauge the success or failure of a new project by simply using monetary metrics. In the corporate world, the first measure of success is usually the return on investment. In other words, is this project profitable? But in HigherEd, there really is no bottom line, therefore gauging success based on profits and losses is nearly impossible. So how else can we determine the success of a project? The next metric for success is usually time and budget. Did the project finish on time and within budget? For those readers who may not be familiar with working at HigherEd, resources are limited, time is relative, and budgets are immutable. So when you have all three forces, headed in opposite directions, required in order to successfully complete a project, chances are, the project will fail.
While I’m developing and testing a hook_update_N() function for my module, there are several ways to reset the schema_version in the system database table.
Today I ran into an issue with git and case sensitivity on Macs. Although Macs preserve case, their filesystems is case insensitive.
I did not realize the power of
git reset. If you need to do a
git reset on your working copy and you have modified (tracked, but uncommitted) changes, then
git reset will blow away all your changes without warning.
There are three essential tools I use in order to develop Drupal sites: Acquia Dev Desktop, NetBeans IDE, and Xdebug. Xdebug is a great tool to step through your code in order to troubleshoot a bug, however, it comes disabled by default on Acquia Dev Desktop. The following are instructions to enable Xdebug on Acquia Dev Desktop (ADD).
Today I launched my new Drupal DSpace project. There are two modules included in this project, the DSpace module and the DSpace Biblio module.
DSpace Biblio Module:
The DSpace Biblio module maps DSpace metadata fields with Biblio fields.
More information can be found here: